Monday, June 11, 2012

DAY 14 - Focused...

Hello friends!  So I have been missing for a few days...at least in blog world anyway.  I have actually had several days of being really focused and getting busy from the time I wake until I am exhausted.  As I am trying to get my life focused there are so many little things that I just want to get done and taken care of and some are things that keep getting me off track.  Some of the things have been in line with what I am hoping to accomplish and I will update you below.

INTENTIONS FOR JUNE:
I watched my live mentoring session on Thursday (with Brianna!) and really learned a lot about picking five intentions each month and making my choices about whether or not to do something based on whether they are on task with those intentions or not.  I have found that I am asking myself over and over again, "Is this helping me work towards my intentions?" or before I even choose to do something asking that question and about 70% of the time my answer is no and I try to refocus.  I found that I kept forgetting what my five were so I decided to print them out and paste them throughout the house in order to remember what my intentions are.  Here is the print out...


The other key part from that mentoring session was learning to turn completely "off".  Something I don't do very well at all!  So I am going to have to set specific time to do this, like this afternoon when my youngest and I hang out at the pool once she gets home from school!

FAMILY GOALS FOR SUMMER:
Now this made me think about having the five of us make a list each of five things we want to do during the summer so that we can make sure we do all of them.  This will help me with planning our summer activities, but it will also help the kids learn how to set goals and cross them off as they achieve them.  Below are the goals that we came up with.  We will be putting them up in our rooms tonight!

1. Go camping
2. Establish a routine of exercise 6 days a week
3. Star gaze and picnic with the family
4. Read at least two book (A Million Miles in a Thousand Years & Why I Am a Buddhist)
5. Run in a race that will benefit a person/organization in need of help.






















DON'T BREAK THE CHAIN:
One of the other challenges that we were given last week from my mentor group, the Smokin Hot Mama Club, was to not break the chain...so I have made a calendar (actually six) of things that I want to make sure I do pretty much daily.  I have printed it out and it is up on my wall next to my weekly schedule so I can put an X in every day that I do each of these things and make a chain.  I will do my best to keep my chain going and not break it!

EATING A RAINBOW:
This also made me think about another habit that I am hoping to begin and have the children begin as well - eat a rainbow a day.  So I have found and printed out two resources that will help...   

The first thing is a little chart for everyone in our family.  My favorite part of this chart is seeing what new fruit and veggie they want to try and then getting those to try!


This is a Rainbow Wheel for each of us to use each day.  We will put an "x" through each color that we eat with the goal of completing our circle chain by the end of the day.  So when we go to have a meal or snack we can look through this and figure out what color we are missing!  

I think that's enough for today.  As you can see from my chain calendar I will be attempting to update my blog every day, so don't forget to come back tomorrow to see my progress!

Take care and remember...
Change doesn't come from the sky.  It comes from human action.
~The Dalai Lama
*hugs,
Mel

P.S. Don't be afraid to leave me comments below!  I would love your support in this challenging journey.  Just make sure to keep it positive please.  Thanks!








1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I saw the link for this on Facebook this morning and am reading your archives. Glad you're getting into Buddhist mentality. It really is "the way" as far as I'm concerned.

    I love the summer goals (especially the kids'), love the check box calendar thing - super cute. And I love that color chart for the kids to choose their rainbow! Good stuff, Melissa! Keep it up.

    I have "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" on my to-read list. We can read it together if you want.

    I'd also love to run a race with you, but it'll be hard to schedule because my weekends are pretty maxed. Let me know when you find one you want to do and hopefully I can join!

    ReplyDelete