Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DAY TWO - next?

So tomorrow is my second anniversary...while it was only two years ago that we got married, it seems like it was not that long ago and yet it seems like it was forever ago!  So today I do need to spend some of my time making a card for the hubby.

The one thing I also want to do today is keep reading the book  2012 A Life Pursued by Lonnie Crim, the husband of the the Head Mama at the Smokin' Hot Mama's Club.  I started reading it yesterday and there are so many times that I have said, "Yes!  Exactly!" so I am excited to keep reading.  One of my favorite quotes is in the first paragraph of the book, "A wish is something you hope comes true.  A goal is something you make come true."  I am done with wishing that my wants and desires will just happen.  I am done with accepting what is handed to me and just coasting through life wishing and hoping that I will get what I want out of it. I don't even know what I want...but I do know there are some really cool things that get me excited and this is going to be my journal of how I make that happen.

A few weeks ago I had a long conversation with my husband about this sort of "awakening" I was having about me and my life.  I was struggling with thinking that I couldn't have what I have now, a stable family with three great kids that I absolutely adore and an affectionate husband, and still have what used to be my wishes, but are now some of my goals.  I thought that because I chose to have a split-up family, where my kids don't see their dad(s) every day or even every week, that it would make me a bad mother for dreaming and wanting to travel abroad to help others with and without them.  I know now that I can have both and that by making my dreams a reality will be good for my children because they will see what happens when you put hard work into something.  Also, one of the things that I am sort of ashamed that I haven't taught them enough about is giving to others.  So many people, including myself and my kids, just want and want and want more and more material things...there are people in other countries that don't even have safe drinking water and we are concerned about whether the cell phone we have is the current model or whether we have the most recent version of the iPhone (or in our case iTouch).  While all of those things are great, and I definitely will need a computer and internet if I want to keep this blog thing going, they aren't necessities.  Kids nowadays, don't even know the difference between want and needs...they think they NEED a laptop, they think they NEED a smart phone, they think they NEED a soda or an energy drink - they don't NEED any of those!  They aren't grateful for the roof over their heads, the clothes from designer stores, all of the technology they have readily available to them - they aren't even grateful for the safe drinking water they have, they take all of those things for granted.  That needs to change!  That needs to change all over America or we will just continue to lose the spirit of who we are supposed to be.

So, to end my note for the day, as part of an assignment from the book I mentioned above:

Things I Am Grateful For...the list is endless, but here are just a few:
1. my overall health - even though not perfect, I am not dying from any disease, I can still take care of my myself and do everything and anything I want to do.
2. my children - without them I would feel completely lost at times (even more than I already am!)  I love them so very much and feel so lucky to have all three of them in my life.  I would not be complete without them.  They aren't perfect, but then again, nobody is and that's what makes them uniquely them and I would't change it for anything!
3. their health - I am so lucky and fortunate that my children are healthy.  I do not know what I would do if any of my children had to suffer from an illness or disease.
4. my husband - i don't even know where to begin with this one.  How we met was...a miracle?  Everything needed to happen exactly how it happened in the exact timing that it happened we would have never even met.  We have been the world to each other and to the point of unhealthiness, and it took it's toll on our relationship, but we are still together and I am grateful for everything we have been through.  We are completely like each other's clone - finishing each other's sentences, saying things at exactly the same time, having the same thoughts at the same time - quite frankly its sickening, but I wouldn't change it.
5. my family and close friends - I am so fortunate that I have family and friends that I can rely on if I need them.  You all know who you are! And they are all fairly healthy! How lucky is that!?

Those are the top five things that I am grateful for.  I hope that who ever reads this today, stops for just a few minutes and thinks about at least a few things that they are grateful for.  As for the rest of my day...card making for the hubby, picking up the house a little, reading 2012 A Life Pursued and trying to organize my notes and scribbles that I will need for some goal planning over the next few weeks!

Take care and remember...
Change doesn't come from the sky.  It comes from human action. ~the Dalai Lama
*hugs,
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment